Woman who confessed to killing man and burying him in her garden charged with murder


Nicole Morley

Woman who confessed to killing man and burying him in her garden charged with murder
Police tents at the scene of an investigation in the garden of a property on Matlock Road in Reddish, as a woman who has claimed that she killed a man several years ago and buried his body in her back garden (Picture: PA)

A woman who confessed to killing a man and burying his body in her garden has been charged with murder.

Barbara Coombes has been charged after human remains were found buried in the back garden of her Stockport home.

The victim is believed to be her father, Kenneth Coombes, who has not been seen for 10 to 15 years.

Queen's lingerie designer sacked after tell-all book about royal bra fittings

Coombes, 63, of Matlock Road, Reddish, Stockport, has been charged with murder, preventing the lawful and decent burial of a dead body, fraud by false representation and obtaining a pecuniary advantage.

Greater Manchester Police said the 63-year-old woman sparked an investigation at a house on Matlock Road in Reddish, near Stockport, after walking into a police station and telling officers she had killed a man ‘a number of years ago’.

Door-to-door inquiries have been conducted on the street, with residents being asked if they knew Kenneth Coombes.

The questionnaire suggests Mr Coombes was in his late 80s in 2005.

Woman who confessed to killing man and burying him in her garden charged with murder
Coombes has now been charged with murder (Picture: PA)

A man by the same name who was recorded as living on the street would have been 99 years old today.

Detective Inspector Dan Clegg, of GMP’s major incident team, said following a search of the garden, officers discovered remains which were later confirmed to be human by a forensic pathologist.

‘The investigation is still in its early stages and many questions still need answers,’ he added.

‘We will continue our work at the scene through the night and hope in the coming days we can piece together the exact circumstances surrounding the man’s death.

‘I would like to thank the community for their support as we continue to carry out our enquiries and we would like to reassure them that this is being treated incredibly seriously and we will do all that we can to find out what happened.’

The man is yet to be formally identified and a Home Office post-mortem is due to take place in the next 24 hours.

GMP said that the man’s family, who are being supported by specially trained officers, have been informed.

More: UK

Original Article

[contf] [contfnew]


[contfnewc] [contfnewc]

Leave A Reply

Your email address will not be published.